3ware 9000 series SATA RAID and FC3

Frank FIR at Frank.net
Sat Jan 22 14:39:26 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>If the system sits on the drives attached to the 3ware controller, your
>system will fail to boot.
>
>Previous to exchanging the controller card change the SCSI hostadapter
>entry in /etc/modprobe.conf to reflect the new/other kernel module. Then
>run mkinitrd to build a new initial ramdisk image with the new/other
>kernel module inside. Having done that, you then can shutdown, exchange
>the controller and boot again.

Thank you Alexander.

I don't have a clear understanding of what mkinitrd does, or just what
options one must use to execute it successfully.  Is it possible to tell
me a specific command line without knowing the details of my installation?

And if I do this and I don't get it quite right, I assume that I might
then have a system that will not boot with either controller.  Would I
then be able to correct the problem by booting from the install disks?

Frank.