3ware 9000 series SATA RAID and FC3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jan 22 15:16:25 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 22.01.2005 schrieb Frank um 15:39:

> I don't have a clear understanding of what mkinitrd does, or just what
> options one must use to execute it successfully.  Is it possible to tell
> me a specific command line without knowing the details of my installation?

mkinitrd --help

Shouldn't be that hard to understand. mkinitrd creates the initial
ramdisk image which contains kernel modules which can be loaded before
the filesystem is accessible. Easy to understand that when you need a
specific kernel module to access your hardware - typically SCSI modules
are such a case - you can not boot from that hardware because the kernel
does not know to handle that. So you either compile things fix into the
kernel or when using modules you must have a mechanism which gives the
kernel the modules before the kernel is able to access the filesystem to
load the modules from there.

Move the existing initrd image file for your running kernel to not loose
it before processing following:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.741_FC3.img 2.6.10-1.741_FC3

Given you are running the latest FC3 kernel.

> And if I do this and I don't get it quite right, I assume that I might
> then have a system that will not boot with either controller.  Would I
> then be able to correct the problem by booting from the install disks?

If you have more than the current kernel still on your system you can
boot with an older one to be able to access the system again if you made
something wrong.
Else it is easy to use the renamed working initrd image file from grub
boot screen (given you put the old 3ware controller back in).
Last, you can always boot with CD1 into rescue mode and do the initrd
image building correct.

> Frank.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:03:25 up 7 days, 23:25, load average: 0.17, 0.10, 0.08