KDM instead of GDM on FC3

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 18:20:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 20:36 -0700, Pete Choppin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 22:32 -0500, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> > How do you tell FC3 to use KDM instead of GDM? I remember having to edit some
> > file in /etc/sysconfig on FC2, but don't remember which one or what to edit.

As has already been mentioned, you need to edit /etc/X11/prefdm and add

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

to the top of the file, or change the order of the window manager in
that file in order to run KDM.

Once that is done, you can use switchdesk to change the presentation.

I found that just running switchdesk will change the presentation, but
you end up running KDE on top of gdm.  I noticed that when I logged out,
since I have a different desktop background for Gnome than I do with
KDE.  Both flashed on the screen as I exited the session.

Also, running:

ps auxw | grep gdm | grep -v grep

showed that window manager.

I'm now running KDE on top of kdm, and glxgears shows an extra 10% frame
rate increase.

Not that it helps my unreal tournament play any . . .

-----
/mde/
just my two cents . . . .