FC3 Still Hates Me: No Sound

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Sat Jan 22 22:09:27 UTC 2005

Dave wrote:

>On Friday 21 January 2005 04:57 pm, Kerith Foster wrote:
>

>>On Friday 14 January 2005 11:46 am, blank wrote:
>>

>>>Dave wrote:
>>>
>>>No joy ... I don't even have an IEC958 setting on my alsamixer. Item 19
>>>is one of the Capture settings.
>>>

>>Dave,
>>I don't know if you have already solved the problem. but item 19 is IEC958
>>Capture Monitor on that sound card. Mute it and you should get sound.
>>

> Sound somehow started working after I updated my system one night--but it's
>screwed up--volume way too low--and kmix doesn't work right--the master
>control does nothing ... only the headphone level, and my speakers aren't
>plugged into the headphone jack. Any idea how I can either tell kmix it's
>screwed up, or tell the card it's got its outputs mixed up?
>
>PS: Capture Monitor doesn't mute--I can run the level down to zero, but
>pressing 'm' does nothing.

I had some good luck fixing sound after it disappeared with the 2.6.10
kernel update.
I did this by bringing up a "command window" and running "alsamixer"
from the
command window.  I then played with this.  It uses the arrow keys etc.
to control
this mixer.  You can search for my earlier post on the archives for the
details that
worked on my machine, but your problem sounds somewhat different.
John DeDourek