Mime-type question?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sun Jan 23 01:23:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 20:04 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 07:06, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> >     I'm wanting to set up a set of PHP code to present a link and have
> > it open a terminal window, with a hostname destination in it- kinda like
> > ssh:///root@123.123.12.4 and make a one-click connection to the remote
> > machine.
> >
> >     Is this something that can be easily done, most likely on Firefox
> > and/or Mozilla?
>
> I don't think this will be easy.
>
> I can think of two ways to do this neither of which is "easy".
>
> First way, you would need to utilize something like java scripting.
> Your web page would then be able to startup a terminal application on
> the users machine, in this case an ssh session.
>
> Second way, you would need to startup the ssh session on the web server
> where the page is and pass the data back to the user over the http
> connection (suggest using https for stuff like this).
>
> Only in the second case could you possibly use php to do this.  Even
> that may not be the right tool.  (as much as I like php it is just not
> suited to certain types of things.)

    Or, I could just have them ssh to the main site, then chose from a
menu which would spawn the ssh session as needed.  :>  Yeah, I've been
researching since the post...I don't like most of the choices I have
here, but it's not a biggie.

    Thanks for your input, though!

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller