Resize ext3 Partition

Shane Archer shane-fedora at rctech.net
Sun Jan 23 05:23:53 UTC 2005

At 05:04 PM 1/22/2005, you wrote:

>If / is that large, what subdirectory is the biggest?  Is /home or /opt
>in / and not on a separate partition?  I would guess you have a LOT of
>downloaded stuff there that is bloating / unreasonably large.
>
>You can easily do a backup of the bulk of the stuff there to get it out
>of the way.  Maybe put it off onto CDs to recover the space. Then after
>reducing the space required, the actual OS part of / should be about 3 -
>5 GB instead of the current 38GB.  That could be moved to a new
>partition in its entirety and by making a small change in grub.conf and
>fstab you could boot to the new partiton for your system.
>
>Once the old / partition is not in use you would be free to do whatever
>was needed to resize it.

This sounds like the most viable option yet, although I am not familiar
with the changes I'd have to make to fstab and grub.conf.

Suppose that I just want to move something like /home or /var to another
partition. What changes would I need to make to fstab to make it happen?

The main reason for all of this is because I'd like to copy a 6.5GB
database from one of my web servers (hosted elsewhere) to my local machine
for testing, and I need to create space for it. If I could just move /var
to another partition, that would solve my problem (and hopefully I'd learn
more in the process).

Thanks,

Shane