Stopping the kernel's internal screen blank

Robert Nichols rnichols42 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 05:41:45 UTC 2005

What is the correct way to turn off the kernel's screen blanking?  This
is part of the VT driver and is totally independent of the X Window
System's screen blanking and screensaver, so don't tell me about "xset
dpms off" or the various xscreensaver options.  The only way I've found
to turn off the kernel's blanking is to log in on a virtual console and
run "setterm -powersave off".  If I forget to turn it off, the kernel
will shut off my monitor while I'm actively working because the VT
driver is unaware of keyboard and mouse acrivity that occurs in an X
Window session.

Short of patching the kernel to disable that feature, is there a way to
disable it automatically when X is running?  It would be nice to leave
it active when X is not running, but I'd be happy just to get rid of it.

Bob Nichols         rnichols42 at comcast.net