Yum Erasure Behavoir With Pending Update

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Jan 23 10:03:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 14:55 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 02:33:21PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> > I just erased a package while there was an update awaiting that
> > package. yum downloaded the update, installed it, and only then did it
> > remove the (updated) package and dependencies. Is that a bit of
> > unnecessary overhead?
> >
> > It's no big deal for me; I did the update across my local network. But
> > for someone on a slow connection, it could be irritating.
>
> To further add to the problem: yum did not remove the updated code. I
> found this out by checking for more gimp packages:

> [root at taltos ~]# pre gimp
> gimp-2.2.2-0.fc3.3
> gimp-print-4.2.7-2
> gimp-print-utils-4.2.7-2
> [root at taltos ~]# yum erase $(pre gimp)
> Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
> Repository base already added, not adding again

This is probably nothing to do with what you are seeing, but you are
specifying the base and updates-released repos twice; probably once
in /etc/yum.conf and then again in /etc/yum.repos.d/{fedora.repo,
fedora-updates.repo}. I'd suggest removing or commenting out the entries
for the base and updates-released repos in your /etc/yum.conf

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>