Setting hostname

cfk cfk at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 23 22:01:16 UTC 2005

I have a number of systems that move around. They dont always stay on a
particular domain and sometimes they are on no domain at all.

I'm having a little problem understanding the setting of hostname in
FedoraCore2. It seems to be a little different then RH8 or RH9.

I have tried setting my needed hostname, say "testSystem3" into /etc/hosts at
the end of the 127.0.0.1 line. I have also tried creating a /etc/HOSTNAME
file. Neither seems to work reliably.

My current need is to identify several different xterms that are all ssh'ed to
different computers. Additionally, I have a Tcl/Tk script that depends on the
utility hostname returning something useful and settable.

Charles