lm_sensors failing with i2c

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Mon Jan 24 00:02:45 UTC 2005

Out of curiousty I just started playing with lm_sensors. I went through
sensors-detect as root, and it suggested these lines:

# I2C Adapter Drivers
modprobe i2c-piix4
# I2C Chip Drivers
modprobe gl518sm
sleep 2 #optional
/usr/bin/sensors -s # recommended

I did a `modprobe -vn i2c-piix4` and then a `modprobe i2c-piix4` without
incident. However when I did `modprobe gl518sm`, I got the following:

i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)
i2c_adapter i2c-0: Failed! (01)

I then allowed the sensors-detect script to generate an init script for
lm_sensors. At that point `modprobe gl518sm` brought up no error,
however `service lm_sensors restart` brought up the same error. A
subsequent running of `sensors-detect` failed to discover any sensors
what so ever.

Please advise
Arthur