should i bother??

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jan 24 09:29:30 UTC 2005

Serge de Souza wrote:

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>> Am Do, den 13.01.2005 schrieb O'Neill, Donald (US - Deerfield) um 15:55:
>>

>>> As for the local root exploit, unless you have untrusted users with
>>> shell accounts on your machine, the 'local exploit' is a not a issue.
>>

>> No, no and no. Possible local root exploits are always, under each
>> circumstance a risk. There is no excuse not updating by installing a
>> bugfix kernel.
>>
>> Alexander
>

> Is there a patch set for the 2.6.10 kernel that only includes security
> fixes and no experimental stuff ?  I am currently using a vanilla
> kernel and would like to patch it but can't really find anything
> kernelnewbies says that "ac" is stable but
> http://kernel.org/patchtypes/ac.html says the opposite.
>
> Serge

Usually -AC will have refinements on stable stuff, and security
bugfixes... As fas as I remember, in 2.6.x one of the aims was to
provide a stable kernel every now and then, not as often as before and
left the distributors and mantainers do the patching. Alan Cox is, as
far as I know, the mantainer for the 2.6 branch now, so using his
patches would be a rather logical action.