get rid of cyrus-*

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jan 24 16:41:16 UTC 2005

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> If I try to 'yum remove cyrus-sasl cyrus-imapd ...' then it asks me to
> remove mysql postfix and so on too...
>
> Is 'rpm -e --nodeps' the only way to remove it?

Yes, if you want to break your system. Postfix uses cyrus-sasl to do
SMTP AUTH. The other dependencies are there for a reason too. Why are
you trying to remove all of these packages? If you're just trying to
create a minimal system or save some space, by all means remove packages
you don't need but don't use --nodeps or --force or you'll break
something, possibly in a very subtle way that you won't notice for some
time.

Paul.