Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jan 24 17:32:22 UTC 2005

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

> Fdisk has never been removed. It has always been availible
> for people who want more control over their partitioning
> than Disk Druid provides.

What you are saying is that there is a secret code known to experts
for doing this.
I find this constant demeaning of "idiot newbies" quite unpleasant.
You should assume that the people you are dealing with
are as intelligent as you, with less experience maybe.
If you tell them that something is dangerous
you should assume that they have heard you,
and will either take care or else avoid that method altogether.

Incidentally, to the many people who have told me
I should have used Ctr-Alt-F2 rather than Alt-F2,
I actually explained at one point that I was installing in text mode,
as the X that comes with Fedora does not run properly
on my Sony Picturebook (C1VFK).
But Alt-F2 did not work for me either.

In my experence, on the motley collection of machines I use,
Fedora installation is definitely inferior to Knoppix and SuSE.

I prefer Fedora as a system, so am willing to go to some trouble
to install it.
But I would not recommend it unreservedly
(as I would have recommended Redhat)
to someone using Linux for the first time,
simply because of the problems that might arise with installation.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366