Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 24 20:04:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 16:57 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> James Mckenzie wrote:
>
> >>Note that I am not asking for Disk Druid to be removed.
> >>I am simply asking for fdisk to be restored as a choice
> >>(with the warning that it is only for experts, if you like).
> >
> > This will not stop the ID10Ts from trying to set up their 'better'
> > solutions.  However, for those of us that know better a special keystroke
> > would be much better.
>
> I find your constant reference to "idiots" unpleasant.
> I think anyone who wants to install Linux (or Windows, for that matter)
> deserves to be treated with respect.
> By all means warn people that they should not do something
> unless they are aware of the dangers;
> but you should do them the courtesy of assuming
> that they have understood what you said.
>
> > For the ID10Ts out there, DD is a workable solution.  For those of us that
> > know what we are doing and are willing ot accept the results if we mess
> > up. FDISK should be there for us.  However, we have to figure out a method
> > that keeps the ID10Ts from making our lives miserable.  And, yes, some of
> > those folks live in the higher levels of management.
>
> I just disagree with your whole approach.
> The implication that you are a person of superior intelligence
> who knows what is good for other people
> I find unattractive.
>
> Personally, I have never met anyone who got into trouble by using fdisk,
> but I am perfectly willing to believe that they exist.
> However, you should assume that you are talking to someone
> of equal intelligence to yourself,
> and that if you warn them of the dangers that is quite sufficient.

Tim,
There are many users who are uneducated and curious.  There are others
who are dangerous at a keyboard.

Some users deserve the moniker of id10t and others deserve the PEBKAC
distinction.  Most simply need a little guidance and instruction.

We all have different levels of how we characterize any individual, and
I would agree with James use of id10t to describe the user who did as he
related.