total NFS newbie needs help

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 24 20:22:30 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 11:05 -0500, David Liguori wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I have a dir on this machine that contains all 9 of the FC3 iso
> > images, and I've setup a server: line in my fstab, and setup
> > the /etc/exports file to export that dir to any address in the
> > 192.168.xx.xx block
> >
> > I *think* I have the exports for nfs setup correctly.

The exports file on the server needs to be set up similar to mine below.
[root at bluebird root]# cat /etc/exports
/archive                goliath(rw,no_root_squash)
/opt                    goliath(rw,no_root_squash)

this line is in the format
<dir>		host(options)
man exports for exact syntax and format required.

after making sure the proper lines are in there, you will need to do a
restart on the nfs service to reread the exports file.
    # service nfs restart

> > I've even rebooted.
> >
> > On this machine, a showmount -e shows this:
> > [root at coyote root]# showmount -e
> > [root at coyote etc]# showmount -e
> > Export list for coyote.coyote.den:
> > /usr/dlds-misc/FC3 192.168.71.0/255.255.255.0
> >
> > And on another box as client for machine coyote:
> > [root at gene root]# showmount -e coyote
> > Export list for coyote:
> > /usr/dlds-misc/FC3 192.168.71.0/255.255.255.0
> >
> > But I cannot connect with the NFS choice on the machine I'm trying to
> > install FC3 on.  And at the point in the install, there is no other
> > shell available, so all I can see is the cannot connect messages once
> > I've filled in the address of this box and the path on this box to
> > those iso's.  So at this point I have no idea if the network driver
> > the installer has loaded is wrong or what.  However, the box is
> > sitting down there with the error message on screen, and I can ping
> > it just fine:
> >
> > PING shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=0 ttl=64
> > time=0.330 ms
> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64
> > time=0.103 ms
> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64
> > time=0.097 ms
> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64
> > time=0.100 ms
> > 64 bytes from shop.coyote.den (192.168.71.4): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64
> > time=0.097 ms
> >
> > telnet and ssh both are refused.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue to loan me?

The ping shows the network is working.
telnet and ssh will not be allowed until the OS is installed

> How do you start the NFS daemon on the server?  Usually it's through xinetd, or at least it used to be.  There are hosts.allow and hosts.deny files that are shipped closed down by default (usually "all all" is in deny, then only those hosts and services you want to allow are in "allow", which overrides the deny).  Also, you need portmapper running--unless things have totally changed since I last set up an NFS server, a few RH releases ago.  I can say that, in general, things that are potential security risks that don't need to be running for basic functionality won't be, by default (eg. telnet, ftp, ssh, nfs.  Does it accept telnet or ssh connections from other machines?)--contrary to the traditional Microsoft policy.  Your best bet, therefore, is to consult a step by step tutorial, like the one alluded to by another responder.  You can then be reasonably sure of opening up all those things, and only those things, that need to be to get the desired result.

I run nfs standalone. That is the default for FC3.