FC3: MB and CPU temp/ other Sensors

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Mon Jan 24 23:02:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-23-01 at 20:14 +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> David Niemi kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 23.
> tammikuuta 2005 17:03):
> > found the sensors-detect script and i2cdetect in a different
> > location and now have the outputs of that for the sensors that
> > "may" work.
> >
> > This information just all gets put into the files that the
> > sensors- detect script gives?
>
> Yes, and next you may need to edit /etc/sensors.conf to adjust
> the drivers to your system's details.
>
> > What happens with the output,
> > is it graphical or are there other programs to read the
> > output?
>
> The sensor values are readable through sysfs,
> in /sys/bus/i2c/devices/<device>/
>
> There are GUI programs for displaying the sensor values, e.g.
> gkrellm or ksysguard.
>
>  Markku Kolkka
>  markku.kolkka at iki.fi

Thanks for the information everyone, it's installed (from the DVD) and
up and running, now I have to figure out how to compute the proper
temperatures.

Temps are reported from the w83627thf chip & sensors as:
M/B:  -3
CPU1  -3.0
CPU2  -3.0

I've tried putting in equations for the calculation of the temps to
resemble the BIOS temps but the equations seem to be ignored:

-- snip  --
#	     ThermistorType     = ???
# Fix up a 'compute' line to match your thermistor type.
# Warning. You still don't have enough information to do this.
#	     ThermistorType     = N
   compute temp1 ((4.71 * @) * -1)
#	     ThermistorType     =   (??)
   compute temp2 ((4.71 * @) * -1)
#	     ThermistorType     =
   compute temp3 ((4.71 * @) * -1)
#	     ThermistorType     =
#   compute temp ((X * ((1.20 * @) - 62.77)) - Y), ...

# set limits to  5% for the critical voltages
<< DELETED >>

# set up sensor types (thermistor is default)
# 1 = PII/Celeron Diode; 2 = 3904 transistor;
# 3435 = thermistor with Beta = 3435
# If temperature changes very little, try 1 or 2.

#   set sensor1 1
#   set sensor2 2
#   set sensor3 3435

    label temp1 "M/B Temp"
    label temp2 "CPU1 Temp"
    label temp3 "CPU2 Temp"
#   ignore temp3
-- snip  --

The information above is just a quick and dirty calculation, not a
detailed numerical analysis to produce the proper equation, though if
someone already has done this I would appreciate it very much if you
could pass on your knowledge.

The instructions in sensors.conf & the LM_sensors haven't really helped
me much so if someone could provide some help I'd be grateful.