Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 23:40:39 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian said:
[snip]
> Of course, but you have to know where to find those manuals.  Those of
> us who have used Linux for a long time have them as ready reference. New
> users don't have a clue.
>
> If I install MS Winblows, do I also have an online reference manual? Not
> that I know of, and thus a lot of new Linux users are not familiar with
> finding answers there. They don't even have a hint about the massive
> amounts of help that are actually available.

There's not a link to a mailing list on microsoft.com, but people seem to
find the Fedora list OK.

[snip]
> For a new user they are worse than arcane.  If I was installing Linux
> for the first time I probably would expect it to be as easy as Winblows. It
> is not, and never has been.

Refresh my memory, how many ways does the Windows installer have to
partition a disk?  One.  What is it's purpose?  To create the system
partition and that is all.  IIRC it has no options to create and format
anything that isn't a system partition.  So by your own reasoning, we need
to remove DD complete and just put a dialog that asks where to put / and
put everything there.  That's it.

> This whole thread really has been based on the personal experiences of a
> few, but the topic and discussion has been focused on things the
> experienced users know and newbies have no clue about.

The solution to that is education, not including every possible option and
the kitchen sink in every menu, every time.

--
William Hooper