Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jan 25 00:19:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 16:39, Jeff Vian wrote:

> If I install MS Winblows, do I also have an online reference manual?

Of course - it's called the MS knowledge base and it's absolutely
enormous because of all the possible issues.  And the reason it
exists is that people need it.

> For a new user they are worse than arcane.  If I was installing Linux
> for the first time I probably would expect it to be as easy as Winblows.
> It is not, and never has been.

That may be your experience, but not mine and not true in general.  Try
installing Windows on a machine with the newest Adaptec scsi controller
and no floppy drive.  The Windows installer will let you add new drivers
for the install, but only from the floppy...   Even on a normal windows
install you'll spend as much time just loading the base OS as it takes
to load the complete set of applications you get in a Linux
distribution.   Then you have to hope you can get the service packs
and updates downloaded before you are hit by a virus.

>This whole thread really has been based on the personal experiences
> of a few, but the topic and discussion has been focused on things the
> experienced users know and newbies have no clue about.

I'm fairly sure that the only thing that you can do by using fdisk that
you can't in DD is to nail down the order that new partitions are
created on disk.  Why would someone who doesn't have a clue care
about that?

--
  Les Mikesell
  les at futuresource.com