Syslog Question (Receiving Remote Logs).

Nathaniel Hall halln at otc.edu
Tue Jan 25 00:59:42 UTC 2005

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
| David Cary Hart wrote:
|
|>On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 15:25 +0000, [NICK] wrote:
|>

|>>Hi,
|>>I'm having trouble finding what I need... :-(
|>>
|>>Does anyone know if it's possible to take incoming logs and write
|>>different files for different sources ?
|>>

|>Not a complete answer but most people are better off using the ULOG
|>target (rather than LOG) in IPTables which will give you a separate
|>firewall log. I believe that the ULOG target is built into the stock
|>kernels. Take a look at http://gnumonks.org/projects/project_details?
|>p_id=1
|>________________________________________________________________________
|>Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
|>http://www.TQMcube.com
|>

| Taking a little bit further down the road the question from the OP, is
| there a way to deliver mail sent to root to a regular e-mail address
| (say my usual e-amil address) so that I could recieve mail from my
| server which would actually be the mail sent to root's mailbox, but
| re-directed to me (the actual system admin). Is there a safe way of
| doing that? If so how?

The easiest way to do this is to modify the /etc/aliases file.  At the
bottom (unless it has been modified) is a line like below:

#root:	marc

Change this to:

root:	your at email.com

Make sure you uncomment the line.  Save and exit the file.  Once out,
run the command newaliases at the command line.  This will read in all
aliases and redirected the mail as needed.

- --

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln at otc.edu
417-447-7535