Japanese Language in Fedora Core

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Tue Jan 25 10:06:57 UTC 2005

Hi Didier,

superespectacularisimamente-spambuster at yahoo.fr wrote:
> Hi there,
>           I need to typeset in Japanese in Fedora Core
> 2 or 3. Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure
> on how to do this? Or how to use the latest iiimf!
>
> I want my environment to be in English but being able
> to copy/paste Japanese text from Firefox to my word
> processor.

C&P should work on all applications which are able to
display japanese text.

> And also I use sylpheed-claws to read my mail but
> somehow I can't paste Japanese characters in it. Any
> help from the pros would be most appreciated. :-)

For sylpheed I use a wrapper script which starts sylpheed
in an japanese environment

apprich at elmstreet apprich $ cat ~/bin/sylpheed
#!/bin/sh
export LC_ALL=ja_JP
export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2'
kinput2 -canna &
/usr/bin/sylpheed

You can use this wrapper for all GTK-based applications. All GTK
based applications are able to handle japanese. Typing japanese
is possible by pressing shift+spacebar

You need to have kinput2 and Canna installed.

> Cheers,
> Didier.

Alex