Broken crontab/anacron

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Jan 25 11:27:42 UTC 2005

> A very quick test of cron.  Put this line in /etc/crontab
>
> * * * * * root touch /root/crontest ; echo "crontest updated"
>
> Then look at the file to see the date//time stamp
> ls -l /root/crontest
>
> If cron is doing it's job the time stamp should get updated once per
> minute so it should stay current on date/time forever (until you remove
> the entry from /etc/crontab)  You also should get an email to root once
> a minute with the echoed message.
>
> Note, you will want to remove that line from crontab very soon.

Jeff,

I get nothing. No /root/crontest file created and no messages in root's
mailbox.

My crontab now looks like:
[root at mythtv ~]# cat /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
* * * * * root touch /root/crontest ; echo "crontest updated"

Should I reinstall cron?

Thanks,
James