Is YUM superior to Synaptic ?? (was synaptic evolution)

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:11:03 UTC 2005

Hi

> Oh, I'm not blaming smartpm, I'm trying to find out how it would react to
> bad input.  Apt and yum would give you unresolved deps (as this thread
> shows).  Since Kam Leo suggested smartpm, I was trying to determine if it
> would actually help in this situation or be just another case of working
> because it is using different config files.

yum and apt fails because anaconda does a lot of undocumented magic
hacks  to work around differences between packages. yum and apt on rpm
fails for that reason. ideally this shouldnt be necessary

smartpm does seem to try and do something better. whether it works for
you in a way thats suitable for you is something you will have to try
out. there has been recent discussions about smartpm in fedora devel
list. technical details are there for those who are interested.

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram