pretty up2date vs reliable yum?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:27:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:16:43 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Tim Alberts wrote:
> > If yum is so much better that the experts just go to it, why is up2date
> > the program on the start bar?  Why isn't yum given the nice icon on the
> > start bar by default?

I think the simple answer is one of history.  up2date has been the sole
method of updating Red Hat Linux boxes (except perhaps goold old-fashioned
ftp and rpm) for many releases.  Yum is a brand new addition to the
recent Fedora line.  All the GUIs and such just haven't been converted
over to a yum-version yet.  I suspect this will change eventually as
yum matures and continues to replace up2date....perhaps even in FC4?

--
Deron Meranda