Installation of Tar and development tree rpm packages

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 19:08:12 UTC 2005

Thx to Erik Olsen and all respondents to his question about installation
of updates application packages currently available only in tar format.
  Very informative and useful.

Rahul Sundaram's response (shown below) raised additonal questions I
hope some on the list will address.

As I currently understand fedora processes and structure, development
tree are primarily (solely?) oriented toward the latest official core
release (FC3) and the forthcoming official core release (FC4).  Are some
  development tree packages directly useable on up-to-date FC2 and/or
FC1 systems as well?

I am primarily interested in open source desktop/productivity
applications such as abiword, OpenOffice.org, Gnumeric, Mysql, firefox,
thunderbird, etc. if that is a relevant factor.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:06:30 +0100, Erik P. Olsen <erik at epo.dk> wrote:
> Excuse me for asking a newbie question, but I am a little uneasy about
> what to do.
>
> I am running FC3 which comes with GNU tar version 1.14. I plan to
> upgrade it to version 1.15.1 which comes in tar format only.

one important question. why do you want to upgrade. if the  newer
version of tar has an important feature that you want then you might
want to suggest this as an RFE against tar in bugzilla.redhat.com.

if you want to upgrade, one way to do it is to check if the
development tree has a newer version and install that. post the
results

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram