pretty up2date vs reliable yum?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Jan 25 19:59:02 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 17:10, Tim Alberts wrote:
> Redhat comes with the nice program up2date to install latest updates.
> It's got the nice icon on the start bar that says 'updates available'
> click on it log in and download...
With the Up2date program available in fedora core 3 you have the best of
both worlds. Personally i use both up2date *and* yum - up2date for officially
released updates and yum for 3rd-party pkgs.
it is perfectly happy to use yum repos with a little reconfiguration...
look at the mirrors list on fedora.redhat.com to find a local mirror, which
will probably be a yum or apt repository

read /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
My 'sources' file has the original lines commented out and a specific mirror
site put in instead because (like you) I was tired of the mirror list
bouncing me to an unavailable mirror...

the two new lines in my sources file look like this:
yum zeniiia-fedora-core-3
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/
yum zeniiia-updates-released
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/
they are exactly two lines, each starting with 'yum'

this mirror has never failed me yet...
you would, of course, want mirrors nearer to yourself, wherever you may be.
hence the advice to find the mirror list at the FC website.

HTH

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX
History repeats itself only if one does not listen the first time.