2 users on one FC3 system?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jan 25 21:30:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 20:24 -0800, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:38:42AM -0500, Analog Kid wrote:
> >    Is it possible for the two of us to work on the same system (i.e.
> > CPU) simultaneously under different user logins? We do have 2
> > monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. What is the best way to accomplish
> > this task so that we both can share the available computing power
> > simultaneously? Do we have to build a mini-LAN? In that case would we
> > need another CPU?
> >
> >    Any inputs will be appreciated.
>
> Two display cards (monitors), two keyboards, two mice two seats
> is not easy to get working.  I have never seen it done satisfactorly...
> little stuff like audio will bother you.
>
> You will find that it is easier to take advantage of X windows and or
> NFS from a modest machine to your bigger box.  A point to point mini
> LAN with no DNS can be quick.
>
> You will not have two AGP slots, a second GFX card on PCI would be
> very SLOW so even if you got it working one seat will be lesser
> than the first.
>
> Others have commented on potential issues with software licensing.

What!!

F/OSS does not limit licensing as does that other os.
Linux is multi-user and AFAIK all software installed that is not
proprietary and otherwise restricted can be used by multiple users
freely.

I think licensing is not an issue in getting things working, and even if
it is of concern later that is after the first hurdle is crossed.