First steps to configure ADSL connection

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Jan 25 22:17:40 UTC 2005

Leandro Melo wrote:

>Hi, thanks for your answer and your attention, but that's not what i'm
>really looking for.
>I'll try to clarify my question.
>I already have all the physical stuff set up, as i already use my adsl
>connection on windows xp.
>I have recently started Fedora and beyond the fact i'm a linux
>beginner, i've never used fedora or red hat before. However, i've
>worked a bit with a brazilian distro (called conectiva). In conectiva
>distro there was a tool to install rpm packages. So i did install the
>rp-pppoe package and then run a fill scripts to configure the
>connection.
>That's exactly what i want to do with Fedora! BUT....
>- I'm a complete beginer.
>- Where should i get the rp-pppoe package?
>- What's the fedora way of installing rpms?
>- After that, should i run the "adsl-setup" script, or there's someother thing?
>Well, sorry for my stupidness!!
>Any help is appreciated!

Go to Applications -> system configuration -> Network, or from a console
use either neat or system-config-network commands; there you can add a
new connection of type xDSL and start using it right away! If your ISP
doesn't require any black magic to give you a connection, that should be
all. Create the connection, fill all the blanks with you ISP's data,
uname, pw, make sure you configure the NIC to which the modem is
connected rightly and you shuld be set in less than 3 minutes (literally)