Using 2.6 kernel still unusably slow

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Tue Jan 25 22:21:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 15:51 -0500, Christopher Calzonetti wrote:
> I was a bit hesitant at make install, because I wasn't sure if it would
> actually look for lilo, which I don't have installed, or be smart enough
> to know about grub.

I assure you that your pc won't blow up. Grub will be updated.

I would do all of this from run level 3.

Some things that you might want to try (but, again, I'm just guessing)

make menuconfig

In Processor type and features  turn off "generic x86 support" and turn
off high memory support.

In device drivers -> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support -> Other IDE chipset
support -> activate [ ] Generic 4 drives/port support.

After install, add  "ide0=four" without quotes to the line in grub.conf
that starts with "kernel"

>From my perspective (which is odd at times), Linux seems to favor those
who like to tinker. None of this will alter the existing kernel.