Broken crontab/anacron

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Wed Jan 26 01:53:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 19:39 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> > At this point it might be best to reinstall crond. I have 3 packages for
> > cron but only 2 are related to crond. the other is anacron and is not an
> > issue at this time.
> >
> > [jeff at goliath ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cron
> > anacron-2.3-32
> > crontabs-1.10-7
> > vixie-cron-4.1-20_FC3
> >
> > You might try both crontabs and vixie-cron.
> > There are some things that have dependencies on cron and crontabs so be
> > careful there.
> >

> I have already downgraded it the version on the CD. After that didn't
> help I re-upgraded it. Is there no way to run crond in some kind of
> debug mode?
>
> Not sure what to do now.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> James

By any chance is there anything in /etc/cron.d/ directory?  My
understanding is that those files are appended to /etc/crontab....

Also, are there any user crontab files? would be found
in /var/spool/cron/

For me, both of those directories are currently empty.

One other stab in the dark, could this be one of those SELinux things?
Don't know enough yet to tell you how to temporarily turn off SELinux to
see if that is blocking it from starting/running....

Also, I know you checked /var/log/cron earlier, but what about the
regular /var/log/messages?  Try a "grep cron /var/log/messages" and see
if you see anything about crond successfully starting or not...

--Rob
--
Robert Locke
Principal, Master Technologist