Broken crontab/anacron

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Jan 26 02:49:27 UTC 2005

> By any chance is there anything in /etc/cron.d/ directory?  My
> understanding is that those files are appended to /etc/crontab....
>
> Also, are there any user crontab files? would be found
> in /var/spool/cron/
>
> For me, both of those directories are currently empty.
>
> One other stab in the dark, could this be one of those SELinux things?
> Don't know enough yet to tell you how to temporarily turn off SELinux to
> see if that is blocking it from starting/running....
>
> Also, I know you checked /var/log/cron earlier, but what about the
> regular /var/log/messages?  Try a "grep cron /var/log/messages" and see
> if you see anything about crond successfully starting or not...
>
> --Rob
> --
> Robert Locke
> Principal, Master Technologist
> RAL-II Consulting, LLC

I'm not sure exactly what fixed this, but since about 5 hours ago it has
been working. Can't remember the last thing I did, but it seems to be
around the time someone said it was a permissions problem. I changed
permissions and updated crontab slightly, then restarted crond.

It wasn't immediately apparent that it was working, and I'm not getting
any cron messages in root's mailbox, but it created the crontest file in
/root and was updating it every minute.

I updated crontab to include the original items I want it to do.
Hopefully in the morning I'll see successful runs of the stuff.

Thanks to all who helped!

James