Postfix

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Wed Jan 26 03:21:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 21:32 +0000, Robert Spangler wrote:

> I have noticed that Postfix is no longer running so I decided to restart it
> and I receive the following error:
>
> Starting postfix: ./postfix: line 34: 30371 Segmentation
> fault      /usr/sbin/postalias ${alias_database//,} 2>/dev/null
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> So I tried to uninstall and then reinstall.  Yum doesn't find a package and
> apt-get installs postfix-2.1.5-2.4.FC3

That's the  post-release errata version, you'll want to install that
package rather than the original ISO version.

> So I uninstalled this version and installed the version from the DVD ISO.
>
> I receive the following error message:
>
> Starting postfix: /etc/init.d/postfix: line 34: 31945 Segmentation
> fault      /usr/sbin/postalias "$alias_database" 2>/dev/null
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction to fix this?

It sounds like a possible hardware issue (being a SIGSEGV / signal 11 -
memory issues? I'm assuming the FC build is clean :-D) so the following
document and a copy of gdb / strace is your friend.

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html

> Fedora Core 3

Same version here ( but running a postfix snapshot with similar problems
of my own making...)

> Thnx

Cheers,
Michael.