Is YUM superior to Synaptic ?? (was synaptic evolution)

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:44:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:27:55 -0700, Mike Hoy <mhoy4 at cox.net> wrote:
> Not a dumb question. no i have never tried anything other than synaptic.
> the reason is because early on a friend recommended it synaptic. he's
> the same guy that recomended FC3.
>
> is yum superior to synaptic?
>
> What is the group opinion on the best way to keep FC3 updated?
>
> mike h

One area that yum may be superior to apt/synaptic is that, last I
heard at least, apt does not support repos for multiple architectures.
 This is bad for x86_64 users like myself since I can install 32-bit
and 64-bit packages.  yum handles this situation, just add .i386 or
.x86_64 to the end of the package name.  Anyone know if apt has added
support for this, or if it is going to do so?
Another choice that was left out was up2date, which says it supports
both apt and yum repos.  I had problems with up2date in FC2 (was using
mirrors sometimes that would not respond, probably could have been
fixed) and started using yum.  It is simple to use and configure and
seems to work for me, so I've used it ever since.  I don't know of any
GUI for up2date that will show you packages that you have not
installed (not that I've looked for one, I've just never seen it
mentioned).

Jonathan