Newby needs help

Neo ssawgift at 163.com
Wed Jan 26 08:42:16 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 15:25 +0800, Neo wrote:
>

>>I think it's very *stupid* of FC or Linux to require end users to
>>manually speicy the H/V refresh rates. On Windows, you never need to do
>>that. I think there must be a *safe* default rates for all monitors.
>>Linux developers perhaps don't know that.
>>

>Of course they know that. That is why the installer offers "generic
>monitor that can do 1024x768" style options for people with monitors not
>specifically listed by the installer. The ability to specify the refresh
>rates is an *additional* facility to enable users to get the best
>results from their monitor rather than the lowest-common-denominator
>generic results.
>
>Paul.

That's not 100% true for Linux. But further discussion will not be fit
in this list, because I once installed SuSE 9.0, and I ran YaST (a kind
of system configuration tool), which insisted that I must enter the H/V
fresh rates when I adjust screen resolution (no generic default
allowed). What a nightmare.