Corrupt console fonts

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 11:52:31 UTC 2005

I've just installed FC3 on an old PC (K6 500) and although X is working
fine all the consoles are filled with garbage through most of the boot
process and onwards.

The last thing I see before everything goes wrong is the message about
setting the default system font so I presume this is what's messing
things up.

I've checked my locale setting is correct (en_GB.UTF-8), but beyond that
I'm stuck for what else to try.  So I suppose I've got a few questions:

1) Where is the default font set, and what could I change it to which
might work better.

2) Which hardware component is causing this to screw up?  The grahics
card?  I always thought the console stuff was so common it should never
really go wrong?

If it matters, the graphics card on this machine is a Trident Cyberblade
i7(Rev 5b) which is happily running in X using the trident driver.

Cheers

Simon.