Is YUM superior to Synaptic ?? (was synaptic evolution)

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:52:01 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:27:55 -0700, Mike Hoy <mhoy4 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Not a dumb question. no i have never tried anything other than synaptic.
>>the reason is because early on a friend recommended it synaptic. he's
>>the same guy that recomended FC3.
>>
>>is yum superior to synaptic?
>>
>>What is the group opinion on the best way to keep FC3 updated?
>>
>>mike h
>

> One area that yum may be superior to apt/synaptic is that, last I
> heard at least, apt does not support repos for multiple architectures.
>  This is bad for x86_64 users like myself since I can install 32-bit
> and 64-bit packages.  yum handles this situation, just add .i386 or
> .x86_64 to the end of the package name.  Anyone know if apt has added
> support for this, or if it is going to do so?
> Another choice that was left out was up2date, which says it supports
> both apt and yum repos.  I had problems with up2date in FC2 (was using
> mirrors sometimes that would not respond, probably could have been
> fixed) and started using yum.  It is simple to use and configure and
> seems to work for me, so I've used it ever since.  I don't know of any
> GUI for up2date that will show you packages that you have not
> installed (not that I've looked for one, I've just never seen it
> mentioned).
>
> Jonathan

Start a terminal session, run "su", and then run "up2date-config". Why
this isn't in the menu as a System Setting or System Tool, I don't know.
But it /can/ handle things like flagging packages to be skipped and
deciding whether to install anything if you've changed the config file.

For adding sources, I've learned to edit the sources file directly--and
to save a lot of aggravation, I simply run "su" and then execute "vi
sources" in the directory "/etc/sysconfig/rhn". But you need to check
with your repos to see whether they will publish an up2date source listing.

Beyond that, I've never yet done an "upgrade" from one FC release to
another. Every new-release install I've ever done has been either a
brand new one or a nuke-and-clean, usually when some system-wide foul-up
(and interestingly, it happened with Synaptic when I fouled up "X" in
FC2 after installing from mixed repos) forces my hand. When FC4 comes
out, I'm going to give yum a fair shake with "gyum," if I can get it by
then.

Temlakos