Triple boot FC3 intallation question

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 13:23:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:08:59 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> > If you install grub in the MBR, you'll get a choice of two entries in
> > the grub menu, one for FC3 and one for DOS/Windows. When you select the
> > DOS/Windows entry, you'll get the Win2K boot menu that you currently
> > see, allowing you to choose between WinME and Win2K.
>
> Or if you add something like these two stanzas to /boot/grub/grub.conf,
> you should be able to boot all three OSes from grub. [1]
>
> title Windows 2000
>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>        chainloader +1
> title Windows ME
>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>        chainloader /bootsect.dos
>
> That's assuming that you've currently got WinME on C:, which is the
> first partition of the first drive, and that you've installed Win2K
> besides it (probably on another partition), allowing the Win2K
> installer to do its stuff.
>
> (It will put the WinME boot sector into a C:\bootsect.dos file: Grub can
> use that for booting WinME too).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> [1] Not at the same time, obviously...

When I installed Win2k alongside ME many moons ago I did let the Win2k
installer do it's stuff, choosing not to upgrade ME but keep it as a
2nd OS. The result is ME in a C:Windows\ folder and Win2k in C:WINNT\
but all else shared. I assume there is only the one partition for both
but will confirm that tonight when I Partition-Magic some empty space
for FC3 to do its thing.

Do the above grub.conf modifications apply if I verify there is
currently only one DOS partition?

Also - when I Partition-Magic I will create a vfat virtual partition
(as I have done successfully in past for clean DOS/Linux file
sharing), will that affect the grub.conf lines?

Thanks,
bob