Website using port 85

Steven J. Brown sbrown at valueline.com
Wed Jan 26 14:02:09 UTC 2005

dan wrote:

> Steve Brown wrote:
>
>> After learning here on the list that my ISP, Optimum Online, blocks
>> residential customers from running web servers using port 80, I set
>> up httpd.conf and my firewall to run my site using port 85.  It works
>> fine.  Next, I registered a domain with my daughter's name:
>> miabrown.com through 1and1.com.  I set up the account so that
>> requests for miabrown.com are forwarded to my server (dynamic IP
>> address, port 85).
>>
>> Apparently, at work, they block sites that use a port number other
>> than 80.  In my brower at work, I see the IP address.  What do I need
>> to do on my server so that it shows the domain name instead of the IP
>> address?
>>

> I've hosted http data over the traditional https port of 443.  You can
> have the server listen for http over port 443, and your work will pass
> 443 (be it ssl data or not) to you.
>
> This works with SSH, SMTP, POP... I hate it when my *cough* former
> *cough* employer blocked all that stuff.
>
> Hope that helps
> -dant

Well, I've already tried another traditional port, 8080, but Optimum
Online apparently blocks that one as well.  I'll try 443 when I get
home.  If OO blocks it, it won't matter if my employer does.  The funny
thing is that I was able to view my site ONCE from work.  So whatever
they're using to "block" certain sites is unable to do so until AFTER
you've already viewed it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I hope it works.

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.