reply to yum kernel update

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:35:17 UTC 2005

Lee Tambiah wrote:
> I've installed FC3 and ran YUM to get the latest updates. I noticed that the
> kernel is selected not to be updated in the default settings. There are
> updates available for it.
>
> Should I go ahead and use YUM to update the kernel?
>
> What problems/hurdles could I encounter by using YUM to update the kernel?

> Regards
>
> L Tambiah - Linux Enthusiast

I admit that I'm not a yum user--I've been using up2date and apt. But
kernel updates are a special case. The reason: so many of us insert
custom modules, or even build custom kernels. Furthermore, every
separate kernel we have loaded rates a separate line in the bootloader,
because it's treated as a separate OS. Start a new kernel, and you have
to start all over again.

What will happen if you update a kernel--and AFAIK it doesn't matter
whether you use apt, up2date, or yum--is that you'll get a separate
bootloader line. I'd suggest loading the Bootloader configuration tool
to save yourself a lot of headaches--unless you know how to edit the
file /etc/grub.conf and are thoroughly familiar with how to mark a given
kernel as the default. For reasons that I never learned, a new kernel in
FC2 was never listed as the default. FC3 corrects that little oversight.

So what you do is:

1.	Get the new kernel update.
2.	Restart your machine with the new kernel.
3.	Customize it however you need.
4.	If you have something that works, /then and only then/ do you remove
the previous version of the kernel from your system. And frankly, I've
decided not to delete old kernels until my /boot partition, now at 100
MB, gets more than twenty-five percent full. That way, if I want to go
back to the "last known good kernel," I at least have it on my system.
When you're using a distro like Fedora, that gives you the latest and
greatest, that's the wisest course.

Also, whenever I hear of a new kernel update, I generally prefer to
handle the kernel update /alone/, and prove it out for a few minutes,
before I grab the other updates that are available.

Generally, you're safe updating kernels in the full release. (The
testers, however, get the /really/ latest and greatest to make sure how
great it is.) But every now and then you have a problem--like the one
about CD burning now being restricted to the superuser because the
authors of "cdrecord" turned out to be exploiting a kernel weakness that
the Kernel Development Lab subsequently closed. (What's the status on
that? Do I need to "su" whenever I do any system housecleaning with my
CD burner?)

Temlakos