yum error

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:43:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:38:35 -0800 (PST), BB Cao <pearlsmm at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was trying to use yum, so you can imagine how fresh
> yum  sounds. I got the following:
>
> yum update mplayer
> Repository updates-released already added, not adding
> again
> Repository base already added, not adding again
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up Repo:  dries
> repomd.xml                100%
> |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> Setting up Repo:  updates-released
> repomd.xml                100%
> |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> Setting up Repo:  livna-stable
> Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository:
> livna-stable
> failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna-stable: [Errno
> 256] No more mirrors to try.
>
> How do I fix it? I guess I need keep update yum
> somehow ,if so, how? Thanks.

Two things... First, this might mean that it was unable to connect to
the site to download the respond.xml file that it needs and that no
mirrors were set up in your configuration. If that is the case, I
would suggest waiting a few minutes and trying it again, as this is
usually just a temporary error.

Second, you can run "yum clean all" which will wipe out your cached
yum information. Then next time you run yum update, it can start fresh
and rebuild it's cache again. If the problem you are having is with a
bad file in your cache, that might help.

David