Freeing some partition space...

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jan 26 18:58:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 12:33 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> James Wilkinson wrote:
> >Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> >>I'm running out of space in the / (root) partition. To free some space,
> >>I want to clean the temporary files in /tmp, but I heard a while ago
> >>that it might break something if done while running a graphical desktop.
> >>How can I clean it then?
> >
> >Log out, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a text screen, log in as root,
> >check that the output of mount looks sane.
> >
> How do I know that? is it just trying to find any mention of /tmp there?
> That's what I get:
> /dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

Home much space do you have in /home ?

On my desktop FC3 machine there is 1.6GB in /usr/share, so you could
free up a lot of space in the root partition by moving /usr/share into
your /home partition and adding a symlink:

# cd /
# mv /usr/share /home
# ln -s ../home/share /usr/share

(assumes you don't already have any file or directory
called /home/share)

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>