Random X crashes on FC 1

Ben Sheron ben at whatsmykarma.com
Wed Jan 26 21:39:23 UTC 2005

Ok, I've been working with it a bit now.  I was able to get to happen in
Maya, and in the file sharing app DCGUI-QT.  However it still happens if
I stay logged in long enough.  I've needed my box a bit this week and so
have not gotten a chance to run Memtest on it yet.  However, I think the
problem has two main causes right now:  First, I opened my case for some
better circulation, and the cpu temp has gone down a bit.  (I'm using a
dual AMD box; I had thought the air circulation was good but I guess
not...)  Also, I Googled a bit and discovered that with the Mobo I have,
a Tyan Tiger MPX, it is generally better to use buffered RAM; I use
unbuffered...  I'll get some and see if that makes a difference too (I
was planning to upgrade anyway, as I can use more RAM if it's buffered.)

Thanks for the input.

Ben