Should I wait for Fedora Core 4? or "Dan t you don't scare me"

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Wed Jan 26 22:09:41 UTC 2005

Bill Case wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-26-01 at 15:44 -0500, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>

>>>Xemacs will not recognize my super(win) or my shift key as a
>>
>>modifier
>>
>>>keys.  After some discussion on this list, a couple of weeks ago, it
>>
>>was
>>
>>>established that there was a bugzilla report on this problem and a
>>>Fedora/Xemacs fix was required. I am waiting for that fix.
>>>
>>>Yelp has just released version 2.9 - I believe - with access to info
>>
>>and
>>
>>>man included, but I read that the final fix would be Yelp version
>>
>>2.10,
>>
>>>that would be included with Gnome 2.10 which would only be included
>>
>>with
>>
>>>Fedora Core 4.  Is this not true?
>>>
>>>I was trying to ask in short form, if these two things in particular
>>>would be fixed in Core 4 and/or are they fully fixed now and can I
>>
>>apply
>>
>>>them to Core 3 without too much difficulty.
>

>>Bill -
>>
>>have you tried perhaps giving a hand at building your own RPMs?  If
>>you've never done this before, it can be quite a daunting task
>

> I accept your challenge.  If I can get a bit of help from the list.  I
> have the RedHat Maximum RMP manual plus all the normal man etc.  If
> there is a particularly good site for learning (tutorials?) how to make
> rpm's that information would be helpful.
>

>> After that, perhaps you can make the packages available to
>>those who are in the same position as you.
>>

> Yea, if I can get others to risk trying it.
>

>>If all else fails, I suppose you'd still ahve the experneice and
>>knowledge on how to do something like this in the future.  I'm sorry
>>that I cannot be of more help.
>>
>>Thanks
>>-dant
>

> Would the Yelp 2.9.whatever be the easiest.  It should already have all
> the parts in place??  Doesn't the Xemacs bug thing need a fix and
> recompilation first?
>
> Regards Bill

What the hell, I'll give it a shot.  I've got a box running FC2, but I
often test new installs inside of VMWare, so you're welcome to use that.
  I'll just make a vanilla install for you to play with if you'd like.

The idea would be that you would fix the bugs, then create an rpm out of
that fixed code.  You can deliver it as a src.rpm, or as an {arch}.rpm.

I'll try to help you out, but it's been a while since I've done this.

Thanks
-dant