Freeing some partition space...

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Wed Jan 26 22:48:19 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>

>>I'm running out of space in the / (root) partition. To free some space,
>>I want to clean the temporary files in /tmp, but I heard a while ago
>>that it might break something if done while running a graphical desktop.
>>How can I clean it then?
>>

>Log out, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a text screen, log in as root,
>check that the output of mount looks sane.
>
>This is important! Some scripts and programs will mount other stuff
>under /tmp (e.g. /tmp/windows). If you're not careful, you can delete
>stuff you don't mean to delete.
>
>Then remove stuff from under /tmp. Try
>
>shopt -s dotglob
>rm -ri /tmp/*
>shopt -u dotglob
>
>Or (possibly safer)
>find /tmp -xdev -ok rm {} \;
>
>When you're happy with what's happening, replace rm -ri with rm -rf (but
>*do* be careful), or -ok with -exec.
>
>Press Alt+F7 to get back to the graphics mode.

Done that, and worked great. Thanks a lot! However, there were a few
weird things: after deleting the /tmp files, when restarted, kde took an
awful lot of time to restart and, when it finally finished, the sound
mixer wasn't working correctly; I had to open alsamixer and crank up the
volume to hear anything (which i never had to do before!)

Other than that, all seems fine. Thank you again!

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student