Should I wait for Fedora Core 4? or "Dan t you don't scare me"

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jan 26 23:16:16 UTC 2005

On 01/26/2005 02:03:42 PM, Bill Case wrote:

> Would the Yelp 2.9.whatever be the easiest.  It should already have
> all
> the parts in place??

No. Building yelp 2.9 on FC3 is not so easy - it depends upon on other
development components of gnome that are newer than what FC3 ships
with.

You might be able to build it in a rawhide environment, but if you
updated everything in fc3 that you needed in order to build yelp, you
would end up breaking other stuff and essentially have a rawhide
system.

I want man and info support in yelp as well - it use to be there in an
earlier version of gnome (2.2 or 2.4?) and then for whatever reason was
removed before a replacement was necessary.

If you really want the new yelp, you will probably have to change your
system to rawhide, which has broken packages/dependencies from time to
time.