Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Jan 27 03:11:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Jeff Vian wrote:
>>
>> IIRC, DD does tell you what the label is when you edit the partition, but
>> it does not assign the label to the partition when you first hit the main
>> screen.  My memory says that you have to edit each partition and select the
>> label by hand, although the old label is reported as a hint.  (Of course,
>> my memory could be wrong...)  My suggestion was that existing labels be
>> assigned by default.
>
> I like it only revealing the prior label information. I run a lot of
> installations and auto-assignment would destroy the intended system to
> shreds.

Just goes to show, you can't please everyone every time.  I'm not sure,
but I think auto assignment would have helped the OP.  Of course, it needs
to be overridable, and in such a way that kickstart or other mass
installation strategies could work easily.  The questions are, which
constituency gets inconvenienced and how can the inconvenience be
minimized?

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences