FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Edward Yang neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 04:45:33 UTC 2005

  I am *not* exagerating. Please look at the attached screenshot for detail:

1. I think eggcups is the process for printing. Why it takes up more
than 40mb memory? On Windows 2000, the spooler printing service takes up
only a little more than 4mb memory and less than 3mb virtual memory.

2.  And, eggcups belongs to my session. I am not familiar with the
terminal concept. I guess if a user logs on thru a dumb terminal, he/she
will get his/her own eggcups; and 40mb memory will reduced from the
server. Is my guess true?

3. If I 'kill nnn', where nnn is the pid of eggcups, it somehow
respawns. How can I stop this? Anyway I don't want printing service
right now, I am just learning programming on Linux.

4. I don't want xscreensaver, because I am running FC3 inside Microsoft
Virtual PC. How to stop it?

5. What is gnome-vfs/esd? Are they a must to for a user session?

Please forgive me if my post aroused some kind of holy debate. I come
from Windows world, it's inevitable for me to compare Linux/FC with
Windows. But I will appreciate very much if someone can help me, instead
of just saying 'Only newbies don't understand' or even 'Only morons
don't understand'.