FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Edward Yang neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 06:02:42 UTC 2005

Marc M wrote:

>>From dictionary.com it is both a noun and a verb.
>(edited) troll1   Audio pronunciation of "troll" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (trl)
>v. trolled, troll·ing, trolls  v. intr.
>         1. To fish for by trailing a baited line from behind a slowly
>moving boat.
>         2. To fish in by trailing a baited line: troll the lake for bass.
>         3. To trail (a baited line) in fishing.
>   2. Slang. To patrol (an area) in search for someone or something: "
>[Criminals] troll bus stations for young runaways" (Pete Axthelm).
>   1. To fish by trailing a line, as from a moving boat.
>            2. Slang. To patrol an area in search for someone or something.
>     ------->>>>     A lure, such as a spoon or spinner, that is used
>for trolling.
>
>[Middle English trollen, to wander about, from Old French troller, of
>Germanic origin.]troller
>
>---->>>    A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously
>portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives
>in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.
>
>Or   (my definition)
>1.  A person who mindlessly posts rant level stuff on lists just to
>get a rise out of people, like posting on the Chevy list (Chevys suck)
>or something like that.  The transparently intentional starting of
>fights, flame wars, etc. with a group of people expressing their
>shared views and interests in a topic online --of which the poster is
>strongly opposed.
>
>-Marc
>
>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:16:52 +0800, Edward Yang
><neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

>> Thomas Cameron wrote:

Thanks for your definition. After reading your definition, I am 100%
sure I am *not* that something called *troll*, because I I am keen on
Linux progamming and very eager to get help.

If some people think that the best way to treat a person that is mad
about something he cannot understand is name calling, then I'd say
that's a sad dark side in some corners of Linux communtity.