FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

David Corrigan lightingisfun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:09:00 UTC 2005

I think the troll statement was supposed to mean something along the
lines of "Don't complain when using FC3 in Virtual PC." It's like
running emulated console games under the PC, the quality will never be
the same due to optimizations, emulation compatibility, memory
allocation, hardware emulation and other technical stuff.

Feel free to compare Linux to Windows, but you will find it is like
comparing apples to oranges. I switched from Windows to Linux and
found out that they are two completely different things.

Here are some of the more noticeable differences:

     Settings are stored in Config files, there is currently no
equivalent to the registry, but allot of the config files have some
sort of GUI interface
     Almost everything is open source.
     Much of the bootup sequence is scripted therefore very customizable
     The applications are interdependent. They all depend on one
another and breaking one package (app) could lead to another package
not working which could lead to another package not working etc.
     Security is built in.
     Network browsing works (I still have not figured out why my
Windows laptop isn't visible to other Windows boxes, yet works fine w/
linux)
     The window managers are vary different.
     Dual screens is a little harder to setup in linux (this probably
doesn't apply to you)

The list goes on and on, I'm sure others can post some other differences.

FYI: Newbies won't understand everything right away, it's a fact of
life. It takes time. This list is for people who need help so feel
free to post whenever you're stuck.

When refering to the name calling I think it's beacuse linux people
aren't as tolerant when it comes to product quality and sometimes
expect everyone to know exactly what they know. I don't know what
Microsoft newsgroups there are to compare w/ considering that
discussing windows source code is impossible and requesting
features/help is like talking to a voice recorder, you never know if
anyone is listening.

David