Pls Tell me a mirror site for downloading FC3 iso imgs

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 27 06:36:29 UTC 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 00:02, Thomas Cameron wrote:

[...]

>> I swear, after all the ruckus that been raised about using windows
>> to download something, that M$ would fix that.  But in 15 years
>> they haven't.  Wouldn't want to be able to download a pirated
>> program now you see.
>
>That's just silly.  To think that Microsoft would be stupid enough
> to somehow build in an intentionally bad download mechanism to
> thwart the .001% of users who download "warez" is way out there in
> Conspiracy Theory zone.

Well, as a matter of fact, I was personally told that by a redmond
weenie about 15 years ago, when I was trying to download a patch for
a COTS program we were trying to use at the time.

Finally, somebody took pity on a poor tv chief engineer and sent him a
floppy with the demo version of procomm on it.  Once I got rid of the
M$ ftp proggy I was trying to use, it was a 10 minute job at what was
then 2400 baud, to get the patch I needed.

I used to be a fan of M$ twenty years ago, but that was my instant
education about how M$ felt about actually being able to move a
binary file to what was then a dos-5.0 machine.  They were, even
then, far more concerned with the piracy aspect of a good file
transfer program than they were in the utility of it to distribut
their own patches.

And after several more school classes in the redmond classroom,
usually over a disappearing file in an NT 3.58 filesystem (it had
that nasty habit of simply losing a file about twice a year) that
they were convinced we never had a fscking license for no matter how
many times I quoted them the seriel number from the cd that was
shipped with the machine from dear old I've Been Moved (which did not
contain the file in question even though its a required piece of
NT-3.58, and resulted in my verbal fisticuffs with the jerks at the
time, that one was eventually fixed by cbs imaging me another hard
drive and sending it in via ups, only 3 days downtime for a major
communications box at the tv station, lost commercial sales probably
in excess of 15 grand if we hadn't reverted to the telephone, running
our LD bill up about a grand over those 3 days) I long ago came to
the conclusion that the less I had to do with them, the better off
I'd be.  FWIW, NT-4.0 also suffers from this same lose a file
occasionally bug. Possibly not as often, but it did happen on one
box, twice in 4 years, same file.

The neighbors all know I'm an electronics/computer geek, but I long
ago got them all trained that other than installing a copy of
openoffice or mozilla/firefox for them, I don't deal with
miss-configured windows boxes and all the viri/spyware that comes
with them.  This is a 100% linux equipt house. It was amigados before
that, and os9/nitros9 before that...

>> Just one more reason to get away, as far away as you can
>> get, from anything M$ related.
>
>There are countless reasons to stay away from Microsoft products.
> This isn't one of them.  It's wild-eyed conspiracy theory
> silliness.

No conspiracy based on my experience with them, in fact its a hell of
a good reason to stay away from M$.  It doesn't take too many whacks
at it where there is absolutely no common sense on the other end of a
$2 a minute phone call like those, to sour me forever.

You wanna deal with them, fine.  But I'm not buying the prozac one
needs after a round with redmond.  Lifes too short to put up with
headaches and stress like that.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)