FC3 sucks. It takes up too much memory!

Edward Yang neo_in_matrix at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 27 07:47:23 UTC 2005

David Corrigan wrote:

>I think the troll statement was supposed to mean something along the
>lines of "Don't complain when using FC3 in Virtual PC." It's like
>running emulated console games under the PC, the quality will never be
>the same due to optimizations, emulation compatibility, memory
>allocation, hardware emulation and other technical stuff.

With so many people replying on my first post, I now almost feel that I
*am* a troll.

Please note that in a Virtual PC, the normal apps won't know it's in a
virtual thing. So it may be slower, but the memroy it cosumes should be
the same as it is in a real box. Otherwise, no one won't use Virtual PC
to test/debug software.

>Feel free to compare Linux to Windows, but you will find it is like
>comparing apples to oranges. I switched from Windows to Linux and
>found out that they are two completely different things.
>
>Here are some of the more noticeable differences:
>
>     Settings are stored in Config files, there is currently no
>equivalent to the registry, but allot of the config files have some
>sort of GUI interface
>     Almost everything is open source.
>     Much of the bootup sequence is scripted therefore very customizable
>     The applications are interdependent. They all depend on one
>another and breaking one package (app) could lead to another package
>not working which could lead to another package not working etc.
>     Security is built in.
>     Network browsing works (I still have not figured out why my
>Windows laptop isn't visible to other Windows boxes, yet works fine w/
>linux)
>     The window managers are vary different.
>     Dual screens is a little harder to setup in linux (this probably
>doesn't apply to you)
>
>The list goes on and on, I'm sure others can post some other differences.

Thanks for all these useful information (they are much useful than just
saying the *troll* thing).

I see the difference, but also there are some basic concept all software
share. Don't you agree?

>FYI: Newbies won't understand everything right away, it's a fact of
>life. It takes time. This list is for people who need help so feel
>free to post whenever you're stuck.
>
>When refering to the name calling I think it's beacuse linux people
>aren't as tolerant when it comes to product quality and sometimes
>expect everyone to know exactly what they know. I don't know what
>Microsoft newsgroups there are to compare w/ considering that
>discussing windows source code is impossible and requesting
>features/help is like talking to a voice recorder, you never know if
>anyone is listening.

I don't want to get my foot on anything about open source. I don't like
it too much, neither do I hate it too much.

More on name calling, I like the feel that I post to Microsoft
newsgroups and flame 'm$ sucks! They spend 10 years to add a continue
statement to their VB language!'. Perhaps they are more timid than Linux
people and no one will dare call me a troll. Instead, they show smiling
faces and try there best to explain my problem. I like that.